Type Of Business:
Plastic,reconstructive, laser and hand surgery
Health care, special education and social programs for children with disabilities in Delaware
Writing music; Photography
MD, University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (1960)
Central Delaware Chamber of Commerce; Board Member, Delaware AeroSpace Education Foundation; International College of Surgeons
Date of Distinction:
Throughout the duration of your career, what was the one highlight that stood out the most?:
Highlights of his career:
1. The grand opening of his Laser and Plastic Surgery Center, the state's first non-hospital based surgery center with general anesthesia administered by anesthesiologists.
2. At his retirement, after 30 years of service to the community, he received tributes and commendations from the then Gov. Ruth Ann Minner, U.S. Senators Thomas Carper and Joe Biden (now U.S. Vice-President) and Preseidents and CEOs of hospitals in Kent and Sussex Counties.
3. When he was honored as one of the Twenty Outstanding Filipino-Americans in the U.S. and Canada, in Washington, D.C.
4. When he was honored as the 2003 Great person of the Year in Dover for his community service and philanthropy in Delaware
5. When he was honored by naming the art Gallery at the Schwartz Center for the Arts, "The Dr. Basilio N. Bautista Gallery" for making significant contributions to the cultural life of the greater Dover area and for being awarded the 2012 Mayor's Arts Award.
Medical/surgical missions to developing countries, e.g. Philippines; Hope medical Clinic
Number Of Years In Profession:
Number Of Years In Current Position:
What Does He/She Attribute Success To:
He attributes his success to his hard work, unwavering faith in God, determination, unrelentless pursuit of his dreams. He makes things happen. He believes that he is not here by accident but design with a purpose. He is a visionary.
Why did you become involved in your profession or industry?:
He became involved in his present endeavor when while in training in plastic surgery he joined medical missions to the Philippines helpoing poor children with birth defects such as harelip and cleft palates and later on after establishing the HOPE Clinic ( a free clinic for the uninsured in kent County, Delaware) after recognizing how many children needed specialized health care. It was and still is his intention to improve their quality of life.
Extended Bio Profile:
Dr. Bautista is a true renaissance man: a highly respected plastic surgeon and an accomplished composer. He completed residency training in general surgery at Hahneman University Medical Center in Philadelphia. Afterward he transferred to Boston and continued his residency training in general surgery at Malden Medical Center, where he served as chief resident. He later went to the Roswell Park Memorial Institute in Buffalo, NY for training in surgical oncology. Dr. Bautista pursued further specification in plastic and reconstructive and hand surgery at the University of Manitoba Medical Center - Winnipeg General and Children's Hospital in Canada and spent another year at the university as a teaching fellow in anatomy and a research fellow in plastic surgery.
He then relocated to Dover, DE in 1972. In 1982, Dr. Bautista acquired a surgical laser and was the first plastic surgeon in Delaware to have used the state-of-the-art technology in his practice. In 1987, he founded the Laser and Plastic Surgery Center of Delaware, the first non-hospital-based day-surgery center. The Child HELP Foundation works with Autism Delaware, the Special Olympics and United Cerebral Palsy.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Overseeing sponsorships and fundraising; Writing requests for grants; Making suggestions for grant proposals; Organizing fundraising events; Speaking at engagements; Making presentations; Marketing the organization's services; Sponsoring concerts, art exhibitions, summer camps and music clinics for children with a range of disabilities; Partnering with organizations to procure volunteers
Medical Council of the State of delaware
Mayor's Arts Award, City of Dover, DE (2012); Great Person of the Year, Dover Post (2003); TOFA Award, The Outstanding Filipino Americans (2003); Strathmore's Who's Who; Marquis Who’s Who in the East; Who’s Who in America; Who’s Who in the World
Where Will You Be In 5 Years:
In five years, Dr. Bautista hopes to expand the foundation's reach beyond Delaware.